Playful

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Fun in the kitchen-Whole wheat crackers

     Today I have an easy cracker recipe to share with you.   I know some of you may think I am crazy for making crackers.  I can go buy them in the store for $2-$4.  But after you make these, you can say bye bye to your store bought crackers.  These crackers are delicious, healthy, and easy to make.  We eat very little processed foods in our house and crackers were one of them that still bugged me, just look at the ingredients listed on a cracker box, even the organic ones. Then when I found  this recipe, I decided it was time to try making my own.

     Kids love helping out in the kitchen.  I try to involve them in as much as I can with making our lunches and snacks.  I believe that if kids help make healthy food from little on it can help create an overall healthy eater. 

  Here's how we made the crackers

 

I placed all ingredients in food processor except water and vanilla and pulsed the mixture until crumbly.


Then add water and vanilla and pulse again until evenly combined.  Form into a dough.
Next the fun part, roll out dough as thin as possible.





Take turns rolling.


Little A was trying to roll the pin sideways and figured out by herself that it was not working.


She self-corrected herself without any help just exploration.


Taking turns.  Look how patiently K and A are waiting.  Baking and cooking are  great ways to teach sharing and taking turns!  Each kid will stop and say your turn, my turn. 



    After you have finished rolling them out cut them with a cookie cutter and place them on a baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
  
     The kids had a great time helping me roll out crackers! Seriously, crackers are so easy to make, dump ingredients in a food processor and mix and then roll the dough and cut into squares and bake! It takes about 15 minutes with the help of lovely assisstants to have homemade whole wheat crackers with wholesome ingredients. We usually eat the crackers with cheese for lunch along with fruits and vegetables.

Thanks for stopping by!

Shawna


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment