Playful

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Creating a Birthday Card


      I am excited to share with you a Birthday card that I made for my Mother-in-law's Birthday. I wanted to make something that was personal .  When thinking of creating a card, I think about a color scheme first and what supplies I have on hand. . 
    Next, I think about what I want on the outside and  inside.  I knew on the front I wanted it simple since I had unique plans for the inside.   I made 1 small traingle and then traced 4 more on different types of paper to make a banner.  I added 1 piece of confetti that says "Happy Birthday."  I found cardboard letter stickers at Wal Mart for $.99 and used those to say "happy Birthday."

    For the inside, I wanted to have a picture of C eating a cupcake (that we made in honor of her Grandma a few days earlier)  above the candles.

Here's how you make the candle part

     For the inside, I knew I wanted to have candles and use a picture of C blowing out a candle.
    To create the candle insert, I used the wrapper from the stickers.  Cut out  a rectangle 3 x 4.

Take double-sided tape and tape down the wrapper on 3 sides. 


Leave the top open and insert 2 Birthday confetti pieces and candles.  Next, tape the top of the wrapper.



At this point, I was creating and didn't think about seeing the tape lines of the candle insert.  I took some pink ribbon that I had from my scrapbooking box and glued around all the edges using fabric glue. 
I brought the ribbon all the way up to the picture and decided to cover those edges also.   




      On the other side, we wrote "This cupcake is made in honor of you."   C drew on the card for Grandma.
     After I finished the card, I realized that I needed an envelope to place the card in.  I grabbed a manilla file folder that I had in my closet (crazy, I almost got rid of those last week) and stared at it and said "There is no way I can put the pretty card in this ugly envelope" so I decided to beautify the envelope. 

I took some paper and just played around until I got a layout I liked.




     I am thrilled with how the card turned out. It adds a personal touch to her Birthday Box.  It took me about the same amount of time to make the card than it would have to go to the store and buy the card.


Thanks for stopping by!

Shawna

Pin It


I'm linking to
keeping it simple
todays creative blog
someday crafts
Christina's Adventures
the 36th Avenue
Gluesticks
loving this crazy life
I heart naptime

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I just pinned this idea. A friend of mine lives away and it's her b-day this month, so I might try and do something similar. She'd love it.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might try and do something similar for card and Gift Card envelopes.

    ReplyDelete