Playful

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dairy Free Strawberry Smoothie

     A couple weeks ago we went to Chicago to visit my best friend. I was telling her that C really misses having smoothies since she's been dairy free.  She said "I just put fruit, water, honey, and ice cubes in mine.  It's delicious."  Really?? That easy!  I have only made mine with yogurt and milk before and was never too impressed.

    After we returned home from our trip, we had to try it.  And to be honest, C and I  LOVE it more than the other smoothies.  This smoothie recipe is fruity and super healthy.  She begs for seconds!


    Since creating the smoothie, we make it for our morning snack every day.  We have tried several different variations such as strawberry and spinach, strawberry banana, raspberry, raspberry banana and banana.

Here is our favorite
  • 10-14 strawberries (Wash them and remove stem)
  • Ice cubes-4-5 (Optional- I leave them out for the kids-they prefer without.  I add mine after I pour their drink)
  • water- 1/2-1 cup depending on how thin or thick you like your smoothie.  Add less water for a thicker creamy and more water for a thinner smoothie.  
  • Honey or maple syrup
Modification:  If you have a child under 2 and you do not give him/her honey, you can try agave nectar, maple syrup, or see if he/she likes it with no sweetener ( Little A sure does!) 

1. Put the strawberries, water, and ice cubes in food processor and puree until smooth.  



She loves watching everything mix inside the food processor. 

2.  When its the consistency you like, taste it to see if you want to add sweetener.  (I pour 1 cup of smoothie  for a child that cannot have honey.  She still loves it this way.) Then I add 1-2 teaspoons of honey to the rest.  

3.  Puree to blend. 


 And taste


This recipe makes 3 6 oz cups.








      These smoothies are delicious, healthy, and a refreshing drink during the hot summer days.  My daughter begs me for these.  Really.  We had to go to the store one night because she freaked out when she remembered we were out of strawberries.  Go make one!  You will love it!

Thanks for stopping by!

Shawna

6 comments:

  1. Your smoothie looks great!!! We make smoothies pretty much everyday around here, and try to keep them healthy but still yummy! I need to use honey next time, that's a great idea for adding some sweetness!
    ~Maria @ www.shopgirlmaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love using a little honey as a sweetener in the smoothie. It takes the tartness away.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. It is SO hard to find dairy free anything sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily- I wanted to share this recipe because I was so happy I found a great smoothie recipe that is dairy free. My daughter loves smoothies and could no longer have the ones we previously made.

      Delete
  3. It looks great! I never would have thought to make a dairy free smoothie. Thanks for coming out to the party at The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring this today. Enjoy your Sunday!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. A yummy dairy-free alternative! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete