Playful

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Take 2

In my previous career, I taught 4th grade.  As a teacher, we are taught to constantly reflect on everything and ask ourselves,  "How we would do it different next time?"   Well...every time I walked in the bathroom I saw a failed attempt at art.  It BUGGED me!  This is what I saw:


      Yikes!  Do you see what I see?  The lines are uneven and bumpy.  Honestly, I would be embarrassed for an adult to use that bathroom and see my poor attempt at art.
  
    After looking at it for a week, I decided to try it again.  I loved the color and coziness that it brought to the bathroom even though it looked sloppy.

   This time I went back to the original source to see what I did wrong.  I noticed they spray painted the canvas all one color instead of using a paint brush like I did.  I wanted to use blue, green, and lavender to coordinate with the rug and the shower curtain in the bathroom.  I decided to see if I could do a couple of things differently before I made the choice to spray paint using 1 color.
      
    For attempt 2, I used the same width tape instead of cutting a thicker tape which left crooked lines the first time.  Then,  I went around each edge of the tape and pressed it down with my finger to ensure that the  tape was sealed tightly.  As I was painting, I continued to press down the edges of the tape and painted gently around the edges hoping for smoother lines.  I painted 2 coats of paint of each color and let it dry about 2 hours between each coat.  Then, I made sure it was dry and took the tape off and Ta Da!



Do you see what I see? Smooth lines! I am so happy with how the 2nd attempt turned out.   I am thinking about a larger one for our family room downstairs in the future.  We shall see.


     Overall, the painting was cheap to make.  I spent $7 for 2 canvases at Wal Mart. I already had the paint.   If I knew it was going to turn out great the second time, I would have bought a bigger canvas.  Eventually, I plan on adding the other one next to it when I decide what I want on it. 
    
     I am all about getting kids involved with creating art.  With the help of an adult this would be an easy project for a 9-12 year old to do.  They could create a piece of art for their room or for their grandparent.  I let my 2 year old daughter free paint the other canvas while I was painting mine.  She loved it!


I could not seem to keep both of her shoes on today.  This was the third time she was walking around with one shoe off and one shoe on.


No comments:

Post a Comment